Parents should encourage children to eat foods with nutritious value to preserve the strength of milk teeth. Subsequently, as milk teeth fall out, positive oral health as part of kids’ dentistry will ensure adult teeth grow healthily as well. It can be easy for children to eat foods containing high levels of sugar because they’re unaware of the implications sugary treats have on teeth. Therefore, it is important that parents control what children consume in food and drink.
The Five Food and Drink For Strong Milk Teeth
To help, we have picked out foods and drinks that will make sure milk teeth are kept strong. These foods should be considered as part of a balanced diet for children.
- Dairy Products – Dairy products including milk and cheese contain rich sources of calcium. The bones keep teeth strong and bone benefits from the minerals contained in dairy. Dairy products also help to produce saliva that helps protect the teeth from bacteria and plaque. Dairy products can be consumed as part of a meal or a snack.
- Protein Foods (Meat and Fish) – Protein is very important for teeth. Eating protein foods such as chicken, fish and beef offer great sources of vitamin D, an element that is just as important in keeping teeth strong and healthy. Vitamin D absorbs calcium, meaning better oral health. Another source of good protein includes vegetables, tofu, and nuts.
- Fruit and Vegetables – Foods such as dried fruit and vegetables contain rich sources of fibre. Fibre stimulates saliva when chewing for longer periods. Saliva defends teeth from damaging acids. Fruit and vegetables also have a high concentrate of water that can help keep particles of sugar washed off of teeth. Fruit and vegetables are also part of an overall healthy diet.
- Spinach – Spinach contains excellent sources of vitamin along with sources of magnesium and iron. For oral health, spinach also contains powerful antioxidants that help to keep tooth enamel strong.
- Clear Water – Water should be consumed as part of a healthy balanced diet. It is important for healthy teeth and gums and is valuable to wash away any food particles or stains on teeth. Water also helps to limit any chances of tooth decay created from acidic particle-remains on teeth. Water is indispensable to general health and teeth stay strong and clean.
Read here on how a check-up and clean keeps teeth healthy
What We Say…
There is no doubt that children want more sugary treats that are tasty. However, it is up to the parent to make sure children understand the dangers of regular sugar intake. Children will always consume foods that are encouraged by parents. Therefore, as a parent, ensure children consume foods as part of a balanced diet and limit any sugary foods and drink as a treat. Our dentist near me profile can be found here on the leading dental directory website.
If you’re seeking support on how to keep your child’s milk teeth strong. Contact Dental Cleveland today. We are motivated to keep your kid’s teeth stronger for longer. Click here to contact us now!