Discolouration consists of stubborn stains that form on teeth causing a darker shade. It can become a source of embarrassment and make you feel conscious about showing off your smile. Aging is one reason how discolouration forms. However, it is more to do with how you look after your oral health and the lifestyle you adopt to keep your teeth clean and shiny.
Two Types Of Discolouration
There are two main causes of discolouration.
- Intrinsic Discolouration – This happens when the internal structure of the tooth darkens, breaking through the yellow dentin causing teeth to change colour and darken in shade. This can happen through enamel or nerve damage.
- Extrinsic Discolouration – This happens when the outer or external structure becomes stained due to consumption of dark solids and liquids. Stains occur when eating food and drinking beverages such as coffee, sodas and fruits such as berries. Smoking is also a cause of extrinsic discolouration.
There are a variety of cosmetic treatments that cure discolouration to make way for a happy and healthy smile. Let’s take a look at the available treatments to treat discolouration.
The Available Treatments
- Professional Teeth Whitening – With bleaching agent, the dentist will lighten the shade of your teeth to remove any stubborn stains.
- Dental Veneers – Dental veneers, typically through porcelain material can hide stubborn stains with a thin-shaped shell that fits to the front surface of your teeth. Veneers are shaded to match the colour of your natural teeth.
- Dental Bonding – Dental bonding involves bonding a coloured material to the tooth. This helps to improve its appearance. Bonding also helps to repair teeth that are stained, chipped or cracked.
Besides cosmetic treatments, following the below tips you can master at home to keep your teeth away from discolouration.
The Key Tips
- Avoid Coffee And Sodas – Coffee and sodas are two big culprits of discolouration. They contain acids and sugars which can lead to decay and bacteria forming. It is recommended that consumption of coffees and sodas are kept to a minimum. You may have them as a treat. However, you should ensure you rinse your mouth with water to avoid sugar and preservatives getting stuck to your teeth.
- Eat Calcium Foods – Calcium helps to strengthen the enamel. It is important to keep the enamel strong to ensure teeth stay white. Foods such as milk, cheese and vegetables are good sources of calcium.
- Brush And Floss Regularly – Regular brushing and flossing promises to keep your oral health strong. Also, you should consider brushing after a heavy meal. The mouth should keep clear from any debris as they can catch to your teeth causing discolouration.
Read here on why its important to visit the dentist for a check-up to keep the stains away
With regular check-ups at the dentist along with these tips, teeth will stay white and strong for longer. It is important to check with your dentist as to which of the cosmetic treatments that resolve discolouration is right for you. The dentist will perform a pre-examination on your teeth and determine the most appropriate form of treatment. Adjust your dietary habits and lifestyle and enjoy an aesthetically pleasing appearance!
If your teeth are stained and you’re unsure on what to do next, Dental Cleveland are prepared to unlock your smile and remove those niggling stains that damages confidence in your smile. Contact us here to book an appointment and be ready to show off your smile!